If you wish your website to achieve a level of success, you would have to generate a consistently high volume of traffic for it. Traffic, or the number of users who get to visit your website, is one of the primary goals you should keep in mind when building your website. The best laid plans can come to ruin without a vital component, after all, and the best made website would just be useless without people who know that it exists.
It is a well-known fact that 80% of the traffic that you will be able to generate for your website would come from the search engines. People resort to these search engines when they want to find the information they need. If you want to get a large share of the search engine market, you have to design your website and its operations in such a way that would be inviting for the search engine crawlers.
This process of arranging your website for maximum search engine friendliness has evolved into a science that is now known as search engine optimization, or SEO. Today, a lot of SEO professionals peddle their trade for webmasters who wish to attain a higher search engine position for their websites.
But you don’t have to hire an SEO professional right away. There are two kinds of SEO techniques: off page and on page. On page SEO includes all the adjustments and tweaks you could do on your web pages themselves so that they may be more enticing or the search engine crawlers. Off page SEO includes the other things you could do to optimize your website or the search engines.
Below are some steps you could take to optimize your own website for the search engines. These are on page strategies. Consider this article as a Do It Yourself guide for on page search engine optimization.
- Know the value of keywords. Keywords are the usual words or phrases that people use in their search engine queries. You have to find the set of keywords that are relevant to the subject matter of your website. This would allow you to embed on your website the said keywords so that the search engine crawlers would fetch your pages every time there is a relevant query.
- Strategically place your selected keywords throughout your content. Try to attain a keyword density level of 2 to 4 percent without compromising the structural integrity of the information you want to share. This would mean that the keywords should be mentioned at 2 to 4 times for every 100 words of content. Make sure that your keywords can be found on the title of your content, twice on the first paragraph, and at least once every paragraph thereafter.
- Use the keywords on your ALT tags. ALT tags are the texts that appear every time the cursor passes through an image on your page.
- Include the keywords on your META tags. This would require a little knowledge of HTML. You would have to edit your website’s source code for this. META tags don’t have a bearing on the appearance of your website. They are just meant as identifiers for the benefit of the search engine crawlers whenever they attempt to fetch your web pages.
- Regularly update your content. Search engines promote the building of quality websites with quality content, and to ensure this, they reward websites that regularly update their entries with a better search engine position. Knowing this fact, make it a point to update your content by effectuating a change in your website’s source code (because search engine crawlers read the source code instead of your website itself).
Following these tactics would give you a boost on your search engine ranking, which in turn would give you more visitors for your website. Supplement these studies with off page SEO techniques, and you will virtually guarantee yourself a fighting chance to compete with the websites that appear on the top 10 spots in search engine results pertaining to the subject of your website.